- NIF -

UK nationals covered by the Withdrawal Agreement do not need a Tax Identification Number (Número de Identificação Fiscal - NIF) to take up residence in Portugal.


In situations where you are subject to paying taxes in Portugal, such as working in Portugal; buying/selling a property; signing a tenancy agreement or if you need to open a bank account, you must apply for a NIF.

More information on:

* Online NIF Application for foreign citizens and newborns  

* Brexit implications for taxpayers

* Brexit implications for taxpayers UK’s Withdrawal from the EU’s implications for the taxpayer registration

* Requirements to request a NIF - FAQs: here 

* Tax Office Portal: here

* Tax advisors, consultants or lawyers, please visit the list of English-speaking lawyers and a list of financial advisors or consultants, made available by the British Embassy in Portugal

* If you need support with translation, you may also contact the High Commission for Migration (Alto Comissariado para as Migrações - ACM) support line (Linha de Apoio ao Migrante) which can provide you with information in English > here